Patrick Witt, Trump's new digital-assets adviser, told the Bitcoin 2026 conference in Las Vegas that the White House is preparing a 'big announcement' on the US Strategic Bitcoin Reserve within weeks — without specifying what it will contain.
Patrick Witt used his first major industry appearance to promise something the crypto sector has been waiting more than a year to hear, and to deliver almost no detail about what it actually contains. The new executive director of the President's Council of Advisors for Digital Assets told a panel at the Bitcoin 2026 conference in Las Vegas this week that the administration is preparing a "big announcement" on the US Strategic Bitcoin Reserve, due within weeks, and that the team has spent months working through the "legal interpretations needed to protect Bitcoin that would end up on the government balance sheet."
That phrasing matters more than it sounds. The Strategic Bitcoin Reserve has existed on paper since Trump's executive order in March 2025, but the order accomplished a narrower thing than the headline suggested. It consolidated bitcoin already in federal custody — coins seized in criminal forfeitures, mostly — into a single line item rather than authorising open-market purchases. The executive branch lacks the authority to buy bitcoin without congressional appropriation, a constraint that has not changed since the order was signed. What Witt has been doing, by his own description, is figuring out what the administration can legally do with the bitcoin it already holds: how it is custodied, how it is accounted for, whether it can be lent or hypothecated, whether it can be added to through Treasury asset-management mechanisms that do not require an appropriation.
The federal government currently holds roughly 328,372 BTC, worth about $25 billion at the price bitcoin traded at on Thursday morning. That makes the United States the largest known sovereign holder of bitcoin and gives it close to 1.56 per cent of circulating supply. Most of those coins sit in addresses associated with the Justice Department's seizures from Silk Road, Bitfinex, and a handful of darknet operators. Some are still tied up in court proceedings. The operational question Witt's team has been grinding through is whether a single statutory framework can cover all of those holdings — pre-forfeiture, post-forfeiture, in transit — in a way that allows the Treasury to treat the reserve as a coherent asset rather than a collection of evidence rooms.
Witt himself is a recent appointment. He stepped in as the executive director of the digital-assets council after Bo Hines departed earlier this year, and the role's centre of gravity has shifted with him. Hines was the public face of the administration's crypto messaging — visible at conferences, fluent in the policy debates, and viewed inside the industry as a sympathetic operator. Witt has so far been quieter, which is why the Las Vegas appearance counted as news. The substance of his remarks was thin; the signal that he is now driving the SBR file, and that the next public step on it will come from the executive branch rather than Congress, was not.
Whatever Witt unveils in the next few weeks will be self-limiting. Congress alone can authorise active bitcoin purchases by the federal government, and the realistic legislative vehicle for codifying the reserve is the late-2026 National Defense Authorisation Act markup. If reserve language clears that process, the holdings would become a permanent national asset backed by statute. If it does not, the SBR continues as an executive-branch construct that can be dismantled by a future administration with the same instrument that built it.
That hard ceiling is one reason the announcement has been so heavily previewed and so lightly specified. Industry hopes that the White House will reveal a path to active accumulation — through a bond-for-bitcoin swap, the use of seized gold or other Treasury assets to purchase BTC, or a sovereign wealth fund chartered for the purpose. None of those is straightforward and at least two would invite a court challenge. The version of the announcement most consistent with what Witt actually said — a clear legal framework for the holdings the government already has — would be a real piece of policy work but a much smaller story than the audience in Las Vegas was being primed to expect.
The conference itself has become the venue where the administration drops crypto policy signals in batches. SEC Chairman Paul Atkins used the same stage on Tuesday to promise an innovation exemption for tokenised securities within weeks. CFTC Chair Mike Selig used April to outline a parallel rulemaking agenda. The pattern is consistent: the executive agencies are moving on parallel tracks, and Witt's announcement, when it comes, will sit inside that broader sequence rather than land as a single dramatic policy beat.
The tell will be in the document, not the headline. Anything that ringfences the existing 328,372 BTC against future political pressure is a meaningful win for the policy faction inside the administration that wants the reserve to outlast Trump. Anything that quietly opens the door to active accumulation without congressional sign-off will be challenged in court within a week. The announcement Witt teased is now a deadline he will be measured against. He said weeks. The countdown started Monday.